I keep running into the benefits of massaging with sesame oil. I first heard about it when I was reading Perfect Health-The Complete Mind Body Guide by Deepak Chopra. He mentioned doing a daily massage using Sesame oil and how beneficial it is for anxiety and stress so, I tried it and after only one time I felt great. I have been recommending it to my reflexology clients and many have had great results.Sesame seed oil absorbs quickly and penetrates through the tissues to the very marrow of the bone. Sesame seed oil helps joints keep their flexibility. It keeps the skin supple and soft. It heals and protects areas of mild scrapes, cuts and abrasions.
A little Background:
Sesame seeds were one of the first crops processed for oil as well as one of the earliest condiments. Sesame oil is also used in many Ayurvedic (a system of traditional medicine native to India) medicines, for treating various ailments like pacifying stress related symptoms.
Which Sesame oil do you use?
For the best results choose a sesame oil that is cold-pressed, and organic. The oil will look like the oil in the picture above NOT the dark brown coloured toasted Sesame oil, that is for cooking.
Steps to cure or purify your Sesame Oil:
When you follow this process it makes the oil so it does not go rancid. Usually sesame oil only lasts about 3-6months after opening.
- Purchase cold-pressed, chemical-free organic sesame oil which offers the best results for massage.
- Pour the oil into a sauce pan.
- Use low heat, and don't leave the oil on heat unattended
- Wait until you start to see steam or bits of smoke rising from the oil (like mist rising off a lake in the early morning) DO NOT boil!
- Remove from heat and set it aside to cool down (I put it outside because it has quite a strong smell)
- Pour it into a container for storage. You can use the same bottle it came in which is usually a glass container.
- Massage with the oil ... Enjoy! Sesame oil is easier than most oils to wash out of cloths but still be cautious with the cloths you wear.
Massage with Sesame Oil:
When using the oil as a massage oil, stroke the long limbs up and down. Use circular motions over all joints to stimulate the natural energy of those joints. I find it best to do a full body massage just before I get into the shower. Here is a link on how to give yourself a massage: Click HERE to watch a Youtube Video on self massage